Monday, February 27, 2012

On Assignments and Public Transportation.

My alarm clock bugged me at an unfriendly hour on a Monday morning. I was confused. Why would my phone want to wake me up on a rainy Monday morning, when it was very commodious for me to continue to slack-off my bed? And then I remembered: I have somewhere to go to.
It was 8 o’clock in the morning when I decided I should get going. It was drizzling a little but I decided that I can manage. I packed my bag, wore my shoe, and gathered my coins and spare changes in my study table. I was about to get out of the house when suddenly, the heavy rain poured hardly on our roof; and I knew it was a sure delay. I waited in about 30 minutes when it finally subsided. It was still drizzling but this time, my little umbrella can take cover of me.
It was a quarter before 9 in the morning when I arrived at the main highway. At first, I was patiently waiting for FXs, those which routes to “Kalaw” like everybody I knew suggested me to do. 10 minutes have past and still, there were no signs of that FX, and I was sure that if I keep on waiting, I will run very late. I know an alternate way to the Department of Tourism (DOT). However, it involves a lot of walking and it will require me to go almost around Metro Manila; but I deemed it was a faster way to go. I fared a jeep going to the MRT Quezon Avenue station. I thought it will be fast but the driver kept on stopping on every pedestrian it sees on the road. I was very distressed waiting for the driver to speed up, but I guess he severely needs money for some additional expenses he might have to take.
It was about half-past 9 in the morning when I arrived at the MRT station. I expected incredible numbers of commuters trying to get on their way to work and rushing things doing their hardest not to be late. I was greeted by an almost deserted Quezon Avenue station.
I knew I was late. The call time for the DOT visit was 10 o’clock and I was cruising EDSA at quarter to 10. I still had to transfer to the LRT to finally walk inside the halls of the office of the Department.
It was around quarter to 11 in the morning when I arrived at the assigned room where the talk is scheduled to be held. When I went in the room, I noticed some people putting their hands up. Some are called and they start to ask questions. It was the ending part of the talk. It appeared that I commuted around Metro Manila and pushed through the rain just to count my attendance.
I should have written about the Department’s structure and how it is governed. I knew very little since I arrived at the last part of it. I gathered information from the answers to some clarifying questions. And since it is not good enough, I had to consult with the Department’s website, which is not that informative.
However, I still think it was worthwhile to visit Manila and its aging streets, slums, and dirt, all at the same place, at the same time. It was indeed an experience to commute to a place where one doesn’t normally go to. And I hope that next time, public transportation and traffic situations will improve to save time and be more efficient so that a humble student like me would not be late in an important assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment